I watched the twitter messages coming through this morning from participants in the London Protest the Pope Rally. Seems to have been a lot bigger than expected. Original projections were for 2000 but during the rally the police reported 15,000 and organisers were claiming “almost 20,000.”
Many of the messages indicated that participants were actually feeling proud to be British, for a change. And that the rally was a welcome breath of rationality in a sea of sycophantic media reporting during the pope’s visit.
This man is amazing. Not only is he a terrific writer and his academic talks spellbinding. He also turns out to be an excellent rally speaker. Brief, too the point and humorous.
He really put’s the Pope’s diversionary and hypocritical tactics into context.
Well worth watching.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Papal visit: Thousands protest against Pope in London – BBC Staff – BBC (richarddawkins.net)
- Protest the Pope rally sees 10,000 march through London’s streets (guardian.co.uk)
- Protesters march against Pope visit (bbc.co.uk)
- Thousands protest the Pope’s visit (freethinker.co.uk)
- Catholics demand that atheists apologize for Hitler – Jerry Coyne – Why Evolution Is True (richarddawkins.net)