The so-called White Helmets” pretends to be a non-political aid organisation but in fact is a political construct.
In its on-the-ground activity, it acts as a disaster and relief civil defense organisation for Al Quaeda fighters in Syria. Its links with these terrorist groups were shown by their operations and bases connected with Al Nusra buildings in east Aleppo – and also by the fact it transferred out of Aleppo and into Idlib province together with the terrorist fighters when that city was liberated.
A genuine, neutral, civil defense organisation would have stayed in place.
But the White Helmets also plays an important role internationally in the propaganda campaign against Syria. It campaigned for a “no-flight” zone in Syria and continually promotes an anti-government message. It is often centrally involved in anti-Syria stories about the use of chemical weapons, the bombing of hospitals, etc. The videos they disseminate are often suspect – there have been several cases where they have been exposed at manufacturing false events.
I have written about the White Helmets previously – see these articles:
- White Helmets confirm authenticity of acted “rescue” video,
- White Helmets dupes New Zealand government?,
- Anti-Syrian propaganda and the White Helmets,
- Don’t rely on sources – follow the evidence,
- Stovepiping to produce fake news,
- Here we go again,
- An Oscar for Al Qaeda?,
- Manufacturing news, and opinion, about Syria,
- Voluntary media censorship is ethically wrong and
- Dissecting pseudoscientific and political propaganda
The above video is timely. With the current attempts by the Syrian Arab Army and its allies to liberate Idlib province and Gouta (near Damascus), the anti-Syria propaganda has again swung into action – and the White Helmets have again become more active in this propaganda.